Lagos driver beats wife to death for drinking

Nigerian Police Force

A 34-year-old commercial driver in Amoshe town, Meiran, Lagos State, has been detained by the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba, for allegedly killing his wife.
It was learnt that the suspect, identified only as Benjamin, beat his wife to death for allegedly getting drunk.
It was said that the victim, Stella, together with three of her friends – Fatima, Kafaya – and a man, Wasiu, had gone to have fun in a nearby bar.
She was said to have returned home inebriated, which angered her husband.
Benjamin reportedly beat her to a pulp and when it appeared that she was dying, he rushed her to a church for prayer. She was later taken to a hospital in the neighbourhood, where she was confirmed dead.
A resident, Mr. Samson Adedeji, stated that Benjamin usually assaulted his wife whenever she was drunk.
Adedeji said, “The wife came back home on Saturday, July 1, drunk. Her husband was angry, but people begged him to allow her sleep. He didn’t heed to their plea. He beat her up seriously. It was the following day that I was told the wife died in a hospital.”
An elderly woman in the area, Mrs. Aribisola Amoshe, said although she did not know what transpired between the couple, there were marks of violence on the deceased.
She said, “I learnt about the incident through a neighbour. Before her body was deposited in a mortuary, I saw it. There were injuries on her body.”
However, Benjamin reportedly told the police that Stella was poisoned at a beer parlour.
He said, “I think she was poisoned because she vomited. She went to drink with her friends. I didn’t beat her.”
But one of the deceased’s friends, Fatimoh, who was also arrested by the police, refuted Benjamin’s claim.
“The four of us were together that day. We took a bottle of beer each. My friend died from the injuries inflicted on her by her husband. She didn’t fight with anybody at the bar,” she added.
When contacted, the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Olarinde Famous-Cole, promised to call back for comments on the the incident.
However, a police source said the case had been transferred to the SCIID, Yaba, adding that a manhunt had been launched for the other two friends of the deceased.
Gulled from Punch Metro.